The Department of Mental Health is a specialized area that focuses on the assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and management of mental health disorders. This department typically consists of mental health professionals, including psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, social workers, and other allied health professionals. The primary goal of the Department of Mental Health is to provide comprehensive care to individuals experiencing mental health challenges and to promote their overall well-being.
Patients undergo a comprehensive assessment by a psychiatrist or mental health professional to evaluate their mental health status, including symptoms, medical history, family history, and psychosocial factors.
Mental health professionals use diagnostic criteria outlined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) or other classification systems to establish a diagnosis.
In some cases, psychological testing or assessments may be conducted to gather additional information about cognitive functioning, personality traits, or specific mental health conditions.
The Department of Mental Health offers comprehensive care for individuals experiencing mental health challenges. They provide a wide range of services, including assessment, diagnosis, treatment, medication management, therapy, and crisis intervention, all within the hospital setting.
Our DoctorsView all
Dr Santosh Bangar
MD (Psy), MRCPsych (UK), CCT (UK), DCP (UK), DCN (UK), DPM
Dr Hozefa Bhinderwala
MBBS, Dip. (Psychological Medicine), DNB (Psychiatry)
Dr Jalpa Bhuta
MBBS, DPM, MD, DNB, MRCPsych (UK)
- Family Therapy: Family therapy sessions may be conducted to address family dynamics, improve communication, and enhance support systems for patients with mental health disorders.
- Integrated Care: Collaboration between mental health professionals and medical specialists within the hospital ensures comprehensive care for patients with co-occurring medical and psychiatric conditions.
- Discharge Planning: The Department of Mental Health coordinates with other hospital departments and community resources to develop individualized discharge plans aimed at facilitating continuity of care and ongoing support for patients upon leaving the hospital.
- What is the Department of Mental Health in a hospital?
The Department of Mental Health is a specialized unit within the hospital that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, and management of mental health disorders.
- Who works in the Department of Mental Health?
The Department of Mental Health typically includes a multidisciplinary team of professionals such as psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, social workers, counselors, and other mental health specialists.
- What services are offered in the Department of Mental Health?
Services offered may include psychiatric evaluation, medication management, psychotherapy, group therapy, supportive interventions, family therapy, electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), and other specialized treatments for various mental health conditions.
- What types of mental health conditions are treated in the Department of Mental Health?
The Department of Mental Health treats a wide range of mental health conditions, including depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, personality disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and substance use disorders, among others.
- What treatments are available for mental health conditions?
Treatments may include medication management, psychotherapy (such as cognitive-behavioral therapy or CBT), group therapy, supportive interventions, and, in certain cases, specialized treatments like electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) or transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).
Why Choose Us?
Your care and comfort are our top priorities. We ensure that the patients are well informed prior to every step we take for their benefit and that their queries are effectively answered.
The Gleneagles Hospital's team stays up to date on the advancements in medical procedures and technologies. Experience the Future Healthcare Technologies now at Gleneagles Hospital.
PROVIDING QUALITY CARE
Strengthening lives through compassionate care, innovative therapies and relentless efforts. It reflects in the DNA of our passionate team of doctors and dedicated clinical staff.