Department of Neuro And Spine Surgery
Neuro and spine surgery, refers to the diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and management of disorders of the nervous system, which consists of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and the extra-cranial cerebrovascular components. Brain and spinal cord problems are often complex and require advanced medical intervention for treatment. Brain and spinal cord-related conditions are best assessed comprehensively to tailor an individualized treatment plan. The neuro and spine surgery specialists at Gleneagles Aware Hospital in Hyderabad bring together cutting-edge technology to formulate treatment plans aimed at maximizing the chances of success.
Conditions Treated in the Neuro & Spine Surgery Department:
Neuro and spine surgery procedures focus on specialised conditions, and different types of surgeries can be performed to alleviate distressing symptoms related to the spine. Spine surgery may be required to treat delicate anomalies of the spinal cord, discs, ligaments, nerves, and vertebrae. Some of the common spine conditions treated by neurosurgeons at Gleneagles Aware Hospital, LB Nagar, Hyderabad may include the following:
- Brain and nervous system tumours
- Brain trauma
- Head Trauma
- Congenital malformations
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Vascular Malformations
- CVA – Brain stroke
- Spine Fractures
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Degenerative disc disease
- Cervical spinal disc disease
- Spine trauma
- Spinal pain management
- Structural deformities of the spine
- Spinal muscular atrophy
Facilities & Equipment
The department of Neuro & Spine Surgery has modern equipment to guarantee accuracy and effectiveness in diagnosis and treatment. Its outstanding tools includes
- MRI - GE - 1.5 Tesla
- CT - Philips - 128 slice
- EEG, NCS, ENMG
- Carotid Doppler,
- Cath Lab,
- ICP Monitoring
- Rehabilitative and Diagnostic services
Surgical Procedures Under Neuro & Spine Surgery
The implementation of surgical treatment for spine conditions is aimed at treating the condition and managing the symptoms associated with spine problems. Neuro and spinal surgery can also help restore the function of suppressed nerves and treat lower back conditions affecting the neck. Gleneagles Aware Hospital, LB Nagar, Hyderabad employs state-of-the-art facilities to perform minimally invasive surgeries for various spinal pathological conditions.
- Craniotomy/Craniectomy: A craniotomy involves the surgical removal of part of the bone from the skull to access the brain. In a craniectomy, a part of the skull is surgically removed to release pressure on the brain. A craniectomy is similar to a craniotomy, but the main distinction is that the bone is not immediately restored.
- Intra &ExtraCranial clot evacuation: Intracranial clot evacuation is the surgical removal of a blood clot within the brain, often done to alleviate pressure or prevent further damage. Extracranial clot evacuation refers to the removal of a blood clot located outside the brain to prevent potential strokes or other complications.
- Aneurysm Clipping: The purpose of surgical clipping is to separate an aneurysm from normal circulation without obstructing any adjacent tiny perforating arteries.
- AVM Excision: AVM excision is a surgical procedure for removing an arteriovenous malformation (AVM), a tangle of abnormal blood vessels in the brain, to prevent potential bleeding or neurological issues.
- Tumour excision: During this procedure, the doctor generally removes the tumour as well as a few healthy tissues nearby. Tumour removal usually requires a wider incision or cut than a biopsy.
- Biopsy: A biopsy is a process that removes cells, tissue, or fluid for evaluation. Biopsies are performed by doctors when areas of concern are identified or when the patient exhibits symptoms or indicators of specific diseases
- Deep brain stimulation(DBS): DBS is a neurosurgical operation that treats movement problems caused by Parkinson's disease (PD), essential tremor, and other neurological disorders with implanted electrodes and electrical stimulation.
- Microvascular decompression: Microvascular decompression is a surgical technique used to treat pain and twitching in the muscles that result from an artery or vein compressing a nerve. A little sponge is inserted between the compressing vessel and the nerve during surgery to expose the nerve at the base of the brainstem.
- Laminectomy: Laminectomy is a surgical procedure that generates space by removing bone spurs and tissues associated with spine arthritis. Laminectomy may be performed to relieve spinal nerve pressure, repair a disc condition, or remove a tumour from the spine.
- Discectomy: A discectomy is the surgical excision of aberrant disc material pressing against the spinal cord or a nerve root. A piece of an intervertebral disc that stresses the spinal cord or radiating nerves and results in pain, weakness, or numbness is removed during the surgery.
- Epidural steroid therapy: To treat diseases including spinal stenosis and ruptured discs, which can cause pain and inflammation, epidural steroid treatment includes injecting anti-inflammatory medications into the epidural region.
- Minimally invasive brain surgery: A neurosurgeon doing minimally invasive brain tumour surgery can use tiny incisions to remove tumour. It includes making tiny incisions or using natural bodily openings like the mouth or nose to reach and remove the tumour using specialised tools and methods.
- Surgery under Neuronavigation: Neuronavigation is an advanced technological application that guides the doctor during surgery. Neuronavigation is a modern technological application that is often used in brain and spinal cord surgical departments.
- Laser Spine Surgery: During laser spine surgery, neurosurgeons use thin blades and manual appliances to make incisions on the skin and access the target area of the surgery. An endoscope, a thin and flexible lighted tube, is used to focus the laser beam on the intended area.
- Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Surgery: This surgery is useful for relieving pressure on the nerve roots or the spinal cord by removing the damaged parts of the spine. Compressed nerves can lead to numbness and weakness in the limbs, particularly the legs. Lumbar spinal stenosis surgery enlarges the spinal canal, easing pressure on the spinal nerve roots.
- Cervical Spine Surgery: Cervical spine surgery is performed to treat various cervical spine conditions that cause symptoms, such as weakness, numbness, pain, and tingling in the limbs. This procedure also helps relieve pressure on the nerves and the spinal cord.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: This neural condition causes weakness, tingling, pain, and similar symptoms in the hands, primarily due to compression of the median nerve in the wrist. The spinal surgical procedure relieves pressure on the median nerve, effectively treating the symptoms.
- Total Disc Replacement: Degeneration of the spinal structures can cause debilitating pain in the neck and back, leading to a deterioration in an individual's quality of life. When all other medicinal and physical therapies have failed to work, surgery may be recommended to manage pain while preserving motion and agility.
- Gamma Knife: Gamma knife therapy is considered the best form of treatment for brain disorders, particularly tumours. It involves the use of precise beams of radiation and directing the beams to the target area.
- Hydrocephalus Surgery: When fluid builds up in the cavities of the brain, this condition is known as hydrocephalus, which can exert pressure on certain areas of the brain. It is most commonly observed in infants and older adults. A drainage system is created using surgery to treat hydrocephalus.
- Osteotomy: Structural abnormalities and misalignments of the spine can be treated by neurosurgeons through surgery. During this procedure, vertebrae or other spinal bones may be strategically broken or fused to better align and position the spine and correct constitutional anomalies. Eventually, the bones that are broken or fused will heal in a way that benefits the spine, reducing painful symptoms and any structural deformity.
- Spinal Fusion: Spinal deformities such as kyphosis, scoliosis, herniated discs, fractures, and other structural abnormalities are best treated by spinal fusion. Spinal fusion surgery involves removing natural discs between vertebrae and placing a bone graft in those places subsequently. This surgery can help preserve the spine and diminish associated nerve problems.
- Neuro-Spinal Rehabilitation: Neuro-spinal surgeries are delicate procedures that require extreme caution on the part of neurosurgeons. After the procedure, patients require rehabilitative therapy and care to aid them in regaining functions previously impaired due to neurological conditions affecting the nervous system. Our team of healthcare providers comprises spinal physiotherapists and occupational therapists who work collaboratively with our neurosurgeons to provide optimal rehabilitative care.
Neuro & Spine Surgery Treatment at Gleneagles Aware Hospital, LB Nagar, Hyderabad
Gleneagles Aware Hospital, L.B. Nagar, Hyderabad, is a top-rated facility that houses the best team of neurosurgeons and spinal surgeons. They collaborate with physiotherapy experts, pain specialists, psychologists, and psychiatrists, working towards the common goal of patient well-being and the management of nervous system problems. We offer a modern catheter lab that is available 24 hours for interventional procedures, including digital subtraction angiography, endovascular coiling of aneurysms, and intra-arterial operations, such as drug infusion and thrombolysis. We strive to integrate the best of medical sciences and technology to provide world-class healthcare services and formulate a customised treatment plan for our patients. Through our treatments, we aim to maximise the chances of a successful outcome.
- Which is the best Neuro and Spine Surgery hospital in Hyderabad?
Gleneagles Aware Hospital, located at L.B. Nagar, Hyderabad, is the best place for Neuro-spinal surgeries in Hyderabad. It offers state-of-the-art, high-end facilities for the diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and management of conditions and disorders of the Nervous System.
- What are the Neuro-spinal surgeries at Gleneagles Aware Hospital, Hyderabad?
Conditions treated at Gleneagles Aware Hospital, Hyderabad include–
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Lumbar Spine Stenosis
- Spinal Stenosis
- Lumbar Disc Prolapse
- Spinal Disc Protrusion
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Cervical Myelopathy
- Spinal Deformities
- Cervical Disc Disease
- How can Spinal deformities be treated?
Spinal deformities can be treated through corrective surgery by Neurosurgeons and Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Why are Spinal treatments required?
Lower back and neck pain may require surgical treatment, which should be informed by a healthcare provider or physician.
Why Choose Us?
Your care and comfort are our top priorities. We ensure that the patients are well informed prior to every step we take for their benefit and that their queries are effectively answered.
The Gleneagles Hospitals' team stays up to date on the advancements in medical procedures and technologies. Experience the Future Healthcare Technologies now at Gleneagles Hospitals.
PROVIDING QUALITY CARE
Strengthening lives through compassionate care, innovative therapies and relentless efforts. It reflects in the DNA of our passionate team of doctors and dedicated clinical staff.